Tax is one of the most complex and challenging aspects of accounting. Fortunately, Stern Cohen has earned a reputation for strong tax knowledge. Our tax specialist team takes a pre-preemptive approach with tax planning services, identifying opportunities to protect your earnings and safeguard your assets. Our clients receive a full service solution for their personal and corporate needs.
When it comes to tax advice, we all look to be in compliance while maximizing tax breaks. For individuals, business owners, and corporations our advice is practical and proven. We assist clients with income and commodity taxes, estate and succession planning, as well as numerous other income tax issues. Our strategies include trusts and structures tailored to our clients’ diverse and complex requirements.
Learn more about our tax planning diagnostic reviews by contacting us.
Letters from the CRA? Late filings? We can help. The Stern Cohen team has negotiated many tax settlements with the Canada Revenue Agency on behalf of our clients. So if you have received correspondence from the CRA, are in negotiations with the CRA, or if you have not filed taxes in previous years and need to catch up, call us for expert help.
Tax Services We Offer
We provide advice and services for the following:
- Corporate tax and planning
- Personal tax and planning (for business owners)
- Identification of opportunities and issues
- Cross border issues
- Transfer pricing
- Mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations
- Strategic estate and succession planning
- Terminal personal tax return and the first year of the estate return – T3
- Corporate, personal, trusts and estates
- Tax consulting
- Commodity tax
- Harmonized Sales Tax (HST)
- International tax
- Tax advice and services for US or international companies carrying on business in Canada
- Tax services for non residents of Canada who are selling Canadian real estate. If you are selling Canadian property, but you are not a Canadian, we can help with your filing requirements which may include: Forms T2062, T2068, Section 116 Certificate
- Advice on the taxation of employee stock options, restricted stock units, deferred stock units, and similar plans – especially with respect to restricted stock, phantom shares and deferred stock units
- Tax advisory consulting services for independent accounting practitioners across Canada
You might be interested in…
- Stern Cohen’s Federal Budget 2019 Commentary – our take on the current budget.
- Stern Cohen is “helping clients win big refunds” according to the Toronto Star on April 23, 2014! Check out our tax advice in the Star Business Section in an article “Meet your tax preparer with questions ready” by columnist Ellen Roseman. Read the full story in the Toronto Star.
- In February 2014, Stern Cohen Partner Lorne Lebow was recognized in the Toronto Star’s Personal Finance section for applying a little-known, but significant, HST tax savings that has allowed our clients some substantial returns (in one case a $12,000 HST refund!) Read the full story in the Toronto Star.