Good question. It’s a common misbelief that accountants are tax specialists. It’s more accurate to say that most accountants, even CPA’s, have only basic tax knowledge. Shocked? Ask any accountant and they will admit it’s a fact. This is where Stern Cohen comes in. Established and high growth companies need a tax specialist from time to time. That’s why many successful business owners outgrow their sole-practitioner accountant and come knocking on our door. Don’t miss out on tax planning opportunities. Make sure you work with our tax specialist team.
Our team of tax specialists get rave reviews.
Tax is one of the most complex and challenging aspects of accounting. Fortunately, Stern Cohen has earned a reputation for strong tax knowledge. Our tax specialist team takes a pre-preemptive approach with tax planning services, identifying opportunities to protect your earnings and safeguard your assets. Our clients receive a full service solution for their corporate and personal needs.
When it comes to tax advice, we look to be in compliance while maximizing tax breaks. For individuals, business owners, and corporations our advice is practical and proven. We assist clients with income and commodity taxes, estate and succession planning, as well as numerous other income tax issues. Our strategies include trusts and structures tailored to our clients’ diverse and complex requirements.
Tax Services We Offer
We provide advice and services for the following:
- Corporate tax and tax planning for businesses
- Personal tax planning for business owners and high net worth individuals – See our Estate Planning service page
- Optimizing the Capital Gains Exemption (including executing the capital gains strip transaction)
- Tax diagnostic reviews
- Identification of opportunities and issues
- Cross border issues
- Transfer pricing
- Mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations, restructuring for tax efficiencies
- Strategic estate and succession planning for the transfer of your business to the next generation
- Terminal personal tax return and the first year of the estate return (T3)
- Corporate, complex personal, trusts and estates
- Tax consulting
- Commodity tax
- Harmonized Sales Tax (HST)
- International tax
- Tax advice and services for US, UK or international companies carrying on business in Canada
- Tax services for non-residents of Canada selling Canadian real estate. If you are selling Canadian property, but you are not a Canadian, we can help with your filing requirements which may include: Forms T2062, T2068, Section 116 Certificate
- Advice on the taxation of employee stock options, restricted stock units, deferred stock units, and similar plans – especially with respect to restricted stock, phantom shares and deferred stock units
Tax is complicated. One answer doesn’t fit all but here we answer a few common questions we get about our tax services.
You’ll benefit from working with one of our tax specialists if you:
- are a successful business owner;
- or a high net worth individual;
- will be involved with an acquisition, disposition, or corporate reorganization;
- require estate planning; or
- have complex tax issues.
Thanks for thinking of us, but our tax specialists are very busy with our clients.
Tax is complex. There are rarely simple answers that apply to all. Honestly, we need to know a lot about your unique situation and your end goals in order to provide accurate and helpful advice.
As a result, we cannot answer a question or provide advice over the phone or email. We hope you understand. If you peruse our Insights section, you’ll find some general articles about common tax issues.
Or you can complete our Request a Call Back form to see about becoming a client.
Another great question! Actually we are not taking on stand-alone personal tax returns.
Instead we focus on serving business owners who have more complex tax needs. Why? Our tax specialist team is wasted on a simple tax return that you can have completed elsewhere for less.
Reach out to us if you are looking for the following:
- compliance tax for your business (established businesses with revenues 400K and up)*
- full service approach for your business (for example: tax and accounting, or tax, accounting and bookkeeping)
- complex personal tax matters requiring a tax specialist
- estate planning for business owners and high net worth individuals or families
*If you’re a small business or a consultant, check out this online search engine for small businesses looking for a CPA or bookkeeper: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/ca/find-an-accountant/
Selecting an accounting firm is an important decision. We think our clients’ testimonials will provide you with some reassurance.More reviews
Many thanks to my team at Stern Cohen for your first-class work in eliminating a tax problem for an estate on which I had personally acted as an estate trustee. I was delighted to see the outcome reached so efficiently, and the claim dropped so quickly. Stern Cohen’s services were excellent, and the invoice was more than fair!
I have an excellent and long standing relationship with Stern Cohen at both the corporate and personal levels. Stern Cohen has been responsive and professional in every encounter. I could not have been successful in achieving my personal and business goals without Stern Cohen guidance.
Joe Gervasi is great to deal with — he’s proactive, knowledgeable, organized, and really seeks to make my life easier from a tax point of view. Much appreciated.
Pay less than hiring in-house with better service, deeper expertise, and greater value!LEARN MORE
Financial reporting is critical to the success of a business or nonprofit. We can help.LEARN MORE
We’re looking at the big picture and a comprehensive plan for your business.LEARN MORE