Senior Accountant, Not-for-Profit Outsourced Accounting Practice
Posted September 16, 2022
Stern Cohen LLP is an award-winning public accounting firm in Midtown Toronto (at Yonge and St. Clair). Despite our over 55-year history, we’re thoroughly modern.
This is a unique opportunity to specialize in Not-for-Profit accounting services. If you have a passion for working with charities, associations and other nonprofits this role will take you from generalist to specialist.
If you are an accountant with a combination of public accounting, internal accounting, and managerial experience, we would love to meet you on Zoom.
We are looking for a Senior Accountant to help lead Stern Cohen’s highly-regarded and innovative Not-for-Profit Practice. FIT stands for Finance Team and it’s our unique outsourced accounting service. It includes bookkeeping, financial reporting, payroll, and part-time CFO services. Out FIT clients benefit from an industry-leading cloud accounting platform using QuickBooks Online, Dext, Wagepoint and Plooto.
In this role, you will report to and work directly with Laura Gay, Partner. Laura is a recognized, not-for-profit industry specialist. With Laura’s guidance, and with the help of our not-for-profit team members, you will help ensure our clients achieve internal efficiencies in their organizations while producing accurate and timely financial information. The successful candidate will have overall responsibility for ensuring quality execution of outsourced accounting engagements for our not-for-profit clients.
This career opportunity is suitable for someone who enjoys the variety of working with many different not-for-profit organizations. You will have a chance to specialize and become a niche expert. You will work with an enthusiastic team delivering world-class service. If you are someone who loves using new technologies and wants to be on the forefront of the future of accounting, this role is for you!
- Continuously seek opportunities for professional development and industry knowledge;
- Maintain a knowledge of the latest accounting technologies and applications that will support our clients’ finance and organizational needs;
- Lead, evaluate, integrate, and support change and process improvements;
- Develop, recommend, and implement technology strategy and policy;
- Develop efficient and effective financial policies and procedures and ensures adherence to internal controls for our clients;
- High level financial reporting and analysis including cost accounting, cash flow projections, budgeting;
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with clients;
- Supporting the department’s business development efforts by participating in calls with prospective clients to evaluate their needs and prepare pricing for proposals.
- Completion of a degree in Accounting, Business, or Finance;
- Qualified accounting designation (CPA in combination with CA, CGA, CMA);
- Strong bookkeeping and finance knowledge with experience in cash flow projections, budgeting, and financial analysis;
- Strong ability to multi-task, prioritize, and move from one task/client to another quickly;
- Personal and not-for-profit tax experience is a benefit;
- Strong knowledge of cloud-based accounting platforms especially QuickBooks Online, Receipt Bank, Plooto, Wagepoint, while not required, is a strong asset;
- Client service and relationship building excellence (for external and internal clients);
- Detail orientation and analytical/inquiry skills that will enable a deep understanding of our clients’ businesses;
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, interpersonal and presentation);
Benefits of working at Stern Cohen:
- Competitive and comprehensive benefits and compensation package
- Culture of lifelong learning including professional development and CPD tracking on the industry-leading LumiQ app
- Supportive and collaborative work environment
- Enthusiastic team spirit
- Flex hours to allow for work-life balance
- State of the art cloud technology platform
- Advancement opportunities so that you can specialize or diversify, innovate, and achieve your career goals
- Dress for Your Day casual dress policy
- Generous summer hours – In 2022 we offered 8 additional days off with pay in the summer!
- Hybrid workplace
- At Stern Cohen, the health and wellbeing of our team is a priority! Our “Disconnecting from Work” policy ensures work-life balance.
Applicants are encouraged to view our Careers page.
Learn more about Laura Gay.
Learn more about Stern Cohen FIT.
Interested applicants are kindly asked to include a cover letter along with their resume. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, we will only contact applicants who closely match our requirements.
Stern Cohen LLP offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.