Manager, Accounting Services
Posted January 15, 2020
Are you an accountant with a “triple-threat” combination of bookkeeping, internal accounting and managerial experience? If so, we’d love to meet you!
Stern Cohen LLP is a rapidly-growing, award-winning, public accounting firm at Yonge and St. Clair in Toronto. We focus exclusively on privately-held businesses and not-for-profit organizations. Despite our 55+ year history, our approach is thoroughly modern (like our paperless office and use of cloud technologies). We are currently fully-operational, but operating remotely (working from home) due to Covid-19.
We’re looking for a Manager to help lead our exciting new FIT Accounting Services Practice. Stern Cohen FIT is a finance team solution for owner-managed businesses that includes: bookkeeping, accounting, payroll and a part-time CFO service. All on a modern, cloud accounting platform (using QuickBooks Online, Hubdoc and Plooto).
The FIT Manager will report to and work directly with the FIT Senior Manager and four FIT Partners. You’ll help our clients achieve internal efficiencies in their companies while producing accurate and timely financial information. The successful candidate will have overall responsibility for ensuring quality execution of all bookkeeping and outsourced accounting engagements for our clients.
This career opportunity is suitable for someone who enjoys the variety of working with many different businesses. You’ll work with an enthusiastic team delivering world-class service. If you’re someone who loves using new technologies and wants to be on the forefront of the future of accounting, this role is for you! Our firm is growing, so if your career aspirations include increased responsibility and business development, advancement opportunities exist.
- Manage and oversee a team of bookkeepers and supervisors;
- Act as leadership role model, through coaching, feedback, development and performance management of direct and indirect reports;
- Continuously seek opportunities for professional development and industry knowledge;
- Maintain a knowledge of the latest accounting technologies and applications that will support our clients’ finance and business needs;
- Lead, evaluate, integrate and support change and process improvements;
- Develop, recommend and implement technology strategy and policy;
- Reviews and develops efficient and effective financial policies and procedures and ensures adherence to internal controls for our clients;
- High level financial reporting and analysis including cost accounting, cash flow projections, budgeting;
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with clients;
- Becoming an integral part of the management team and assisting with practice management;
- Identifying value-added service opportunities and networking for new business;
- Supporting the department’s business development efforts by participating in calls with prospective clients to evaluate their needs and prepare pricing for proposals;
- Responsible for developing strategies, utilizing new technologies, and expanding Stern Cohen’s FIT department.
- Completion of a degree in Accounting, Business, or Finance;
- Qualified accounting designation (CPA in combination with CA, CGA, CMA);
- Strong bookkeeping and finance knowledge with experience in cash flow projections, budgeting, and financial analysis;
- Strong ability to multi-task, prioritize, and move from one task/client to another quickly;
- Minimum three years’ managerial working experience in a public accounting environment or industry and overseeing small business accounting client work or internal accounting department;
- Personal and corporate tax experience is a benefit;
- Strong knowledge of cloud-based accounting platforms especially QuickBooks Online, Hubdoc, Plooto, Wagepoint, while not required, is a strong asset;
- Client service and relationship building excellence (for external and internal clients);
- Detail orientation and analytical/inquiry skills that will enable a deep understanding of our clients’ businesses;
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, interpersonal and presentation).
Benefits of working at Stern Cohen
- Culture of lifelong learning
- Supportive and collaborative work environment
- Enthusiastic team spirit
- Flex hours to allow for work-life balance
- Dress for Your Day casual dress policy
- Competitive and comprehensive benefits and compensation package
Applicants are encouraged to check out our website as well as our LinkedIn and Twitter pages. Learn more about FIT by clicking this link.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are asked to include a cover letter along with their resume and email to [email protected]. Please include “Manager, Accounting Services” in your email subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, we will only contact applicants who closely match our requirements for interview.
Stern Cohen LLP offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.