Intermediate Staff Accountant
Posted December 16, 2020
Stern Cohen LLP is currently recruiting an experienced Intermediate Staff Accountant to join our strong and diverse public accounting team. You will be engaged to perform audits, reviews, and compilations, as well as corporate and personal tax returns in a paperless environment. Our firm is growing, so if your career aspirations include leadership and business development, advancement opportunities to Management and Partner levels exist. We are currently fully-operational, but operating remotely (working from home) due to Covid-19.
About the Opportunity
- Planning and execution of fieldwork for audit and review engagements, including:
– Completion of all planning documents
– Work within approved budgets and deadlines
– Preparing financial statements
– Recognition of accounting issues and working with manager/partner to devise appropriate work plan to address them
– Correspondence with client when required
– Prepare corporate tax returns and related checklists. Recognize additional tax filings as required.
- Preparation of compilation engagements for owner managed businesses in various industries
- Obtain/maintain a strong understanding of clients’ business and respond promptly to and be proactive to anticipate client needs
- Gain appropriate level of personal and corporate tax knowledge, based on position
- Maintain knowledge of Canadian accounting standards and updates
- Pursuing or completion of the Canadian CPA designation
- Minimum of 3 years progressive experience in a public accounting practice
- Experience working with mid-market entrepreneurial clients is preferred
- Solid knowledge of accounting software including Caseware/Caseview, Tax Prep, MS Excel
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain strong client relationships
- Organizational skills for prioritizing demands, work flow and meeting deadlines
- Must have a strong commitment to quality
- Solid understanding of business professionalism and the ability to work in a team environment
We’re not your typical accounting firm!
Founded in 1963, Stern Cohen’s talented partners and associates specialize in the areas of tax, accounting and assurance, estate planning, business advisory services for a client base in the greater Toronto area.
We are dedicated to professional excellence, passionate about providing high quality services to our clients, believe in a supportive and collaborative work environment and proud of our enthusiastic team spirit.
We have established a support system to steer you towards success. We embrace a culture of lifelong learning and in addition to our career focused support system, we also have an unmatched social aspect which prioritizes an atmosphere of togetherness and teamwork.
We’re not your typical accounting firm!
Stern Cohen is a thoroughly modern, one-stop-shop for businesses and not-for-profit organizations in the areas of tax, accounting, assurance, advisory and bookkeeping. Our talented team has earned the “Best of Accounting” award every year since 2016 for providing world-class client service. Learn more about our firm and our welcoming, fun culture by perusing this website and checking out our LinkedIn and Twitter feeds. Don’t miss this chance to join a trail-blazing accounting firm committed to:
- professional development and lifelong learning;
- industry and technology innovation;
- helping our clients and team members achieve their goals.
We are dedicated to professional excellence, we’re passionate about providing high quality services to our clients, and we believe in a supportive and collaborative work environment.
Benefits of working at Stern Cohen
- Culture of lifelong learning
- Supportive and collaborative work environment
- Enthusiastic team spirit
- Flex hours to allow for work life balance
- Dress for Your Day casual dress policy
- Fridays off in August & 2 PM close on Fridays in July (and before long weekends)!
- Competitive and comprehensive benefits
We thank all applicants for their interest. We will contact only those whose skills and experience closely match our requirements for the position.
Applicants are asked to forward a cover letter and resume by e-mail to our HR mailbox: [email protected].
Please reference Intermediate Staff Accountant in the subject line of your e-mail.
Stern Cohen LLP offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.