Accounting Specialist, Not-for-Profit Practice Group
Posted June 4, 2019
Skilled accountant with a passion for the Not-for-Profit industry and strong interest in career growth, utilizing technology, and developing best practices to deliver value. You are poised to make a difference and now you’ll have the opportunity and support to do so!
US (Your New Team):
Stern Cohen is not your typical, long-established accounting firm. We are a thoroughly modern, one-stop-shop for nonprofit organizations and businesses in the areas of tax, accounting, assurance, advisory and bookkeeping. Our talented team has earned the “Best of Accounting” award every year since 2016 for providing world-class client service. This career opportunity is with our Not-for-Profit Practice Group. Learn more about our rapidly-growing firm and our welcoming, fun culture by perusing this website and checking out our LinkedIn and Twitter feeds.
This is a rare opportunity for a career-making move to join our growing Not-for-Profit team. This team provides everything from audit to CFO to fully outsourced back-end accounting services using an industry-leading technology eco-system. You’ll report directly to industry expert Laura Gay, Partner and Not-for-Profit Practice Lead. In this full-time position, you will have an opportunity to work with large and small charities and not-for-profit organizations. You will be a part of the service team providing outsourced accounting solutions including bookkeeping, reporting and advisory. You will work most of the time at the Stern Cohen office, with occasional travel to the client site to provide face-to-face support on specific issues.
Don’t miss this chance to join a trail-blazing accounting firm committed to:
- professional development and lifelong learning;
- industry and technology innovation;
- helping our clients and team members achieve their goals.
- Ensure client bookkeeping records are in order, up to and including a clean trial balance;
- Set up client books (including guidance on the choice of accounting software, setup of the accounting system and chart of accounts);
- Process client payroll; prepare HST filings, T4 slips, and government remittances;
- Preparing payment runs for approval;
- Preparing and issuing donation receipts
- Onboarding of new clients including: system conversion, introduction of new software, training sessions, guidance on process set up.
Budgeting & Forecasting
- Compiling budget data, and drafting financial reports and statements;
- Analyze income and expenses; compare to budgets for any irregularities;
- Assist with designing and evaluating a budget and educating client/staff on how to carry out the process.
- Projecting cash flow forecasts based on year to date spending and management’s plans
- Assist with providing timely, accurate financial statements such as balance sheet, income statement, cash flow statement, and statement of changes in net assets;
- Assist with interpreting financial results and identify important trends and discrepancies;
- Preparing government reports on grant spending;
- Drafting financial policies and procedures;
- Assist the Partner on providing advice on ways to enhance operating performance.
The successful candidate will possess a solid work background in providing accounting and bookkeeping services in multiple client settings, especially in the Not-for-Profit sector.
Education and Experience:
- Possesses 4-5 years’ experience in accounting and full-cycle bookkeeping and accounting;
- A completed Accounting diploma/degree or certificate from a community college or university;
- A strong understanding of the bookkeeping cycle, beyond the process;
- Prior experience in working with a public accounting firm would be considered a strong asset;
- Knowledge in the Not-for-Profit sector.
- Expertise in QuickBooks, QuickBooks Online and/or Sage Simply Accounting software programs;
- Expertise in other accounting software packages is an asset;
- Intermediate-to-advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel);
- Knowledge of online bookkeeping and accounting apps;
- Knowledge of Hubdoc, Receipt Bank, Wagepoint and Plooto an asset;
- Knowledge of handling donations, pledges, special events, and membership dues.
- Strong numeric skills, investigative skills, and attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills (listening, verbal, and written);
- Personal ethics, honesty, and integrity;
- Strong client-service focus, with the ability to “think on one’s feet” when responding to client queries;
- Use of appropriate judgment to defer questions which are beyond the scope of the role;
- Possess a flexible and patient demeanor, adapting to various client communication styles;
- Advanced organizational skills.
Why work with Stern Cohen?
Here are just a few of the benefits of working at Stern Cohen:
- Culture of lifelong learning
- Career development path
- Supportive and collaborative work environment
- Enthusiastic team spirit
- Flex hours to allow for work life balance
- Dress for Your Day casual dress policy
- Competitive and comprehensive benefits and compensation package
Interested applicants are asked to include a cover letter along with their resume.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, we will only contact applicants who closely match our requirements for interview.
Stern Cohen LLP offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.