Accounting Specialist / Bookkeeper
Posted March 21, 2019
Stern Cohen LLP is seeking a full-time Accounting Specialist/Bookkeeper to join the Not-for Profit Accounting group, providing outstanding client service to the Firm’s not-for-profit clients. The Accounting Specialist/Bookkeeper will report directly to the Partner, Not-for-Profit Accounting, and will interact regularly with all Stern Cohen partners, staff, and clients.
It is expected that the Accounting Specialist/Bookkeeper will work most of the time at the Stern Cohen office, with occasional travel to the client site to provide face-to-face support on specific issues.
- Ensure client bookkeeping records are in order, up to and including a clean trial balance;
- Perform client bookkeeping (on a monthly or quarterly basis);
- Set up client books (including guidance on the choice of accounting software, setup of the accounting system and chart of accounts);
- Process client payroll;
- Prepare HST filings, T4 slips, and government remittances;
- Provide knowledgeable guidance and training to clients on bookkeeping issues;
- Development and preparation of financial reporting package;
- Prepare and help with planning, budgeting, and cash flow.
The successful incumbent will possess a solid work background in providing accounting and bookkeeping services in multiple client settings, especially in the Not-for-Profit sector.
Education and Experience:
- Possess 4-5 years’ experience in accounting and full-cycle bookkeeping;
- A completed accounting and bookkeeping diploma/degree or certificate from a community college and/or university;
- A strong understanding of the bookkeeping cycle, beyond the process;
- Prior experience in working with a public accounting firm would be considered a strong asset;
- Knowledge in the Not-for-Profit sector.
- Expertise in QuickBooks, QuickBooks Online and/or Sage Simply Accounting software programs;
- Expertise in other accounting software packages is an asset;
- Intermediate-to-advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel);
- Knowledge of online bookkeeping and accounting apps;
- Knowledge of Hubdoc, Receipt Bank and Plooto an asset.
- Strong numeric skills, investigative skills, and attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills (listening, verbal, and written);
- Personal ethics, honesty, and integrity;
- Strong client-service focus, with the ability to “think on one’s feet” when responding to client queries;
- Use of appropriate judgment to defer questions which are beyond the scope of the role;
- Possess a flexible and patient demeanor, adapting to various client communication styles;
- Advanced organizational skills.
Benefits of working at Stern Cohen:
- Culture of lifelong learning
- Supportive and collaborative work environment
- Enthusiastic team spirit
- Flex hours to allow for work life balance
- Dress for Your Day casual dress policy
- Competitive and comprehensive benefits and compensation package
Applicants are encouraged to check out our website as well as our LinkedIn and Twitter pages to learn more about us.
Interested applicants are kindly asked to include a cover letter along with their resume and email them to [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest. However, we will only contact applicants who closely match our requirements for interview.
Stern Cohen LLP offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.
Job Type: Full-time
- Bookkeeping: 4 years (Required)
- Accounting: 4 years (Required)